Image HTML map generator

January 01, 2016

NIVEDITA'S TOP 5 READS OF 2015

2015 was a great year, both in terms of personal life and reading life. Not only I improved my reading habits, I also discovered so many good authors, and I can't wait to read more in 2016. Choosing 5 out of 78 books read this year, is very difficult. But, nevertheless, here's my top 5 books of 2015:
1. An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir



(source: Tuba on Instagram)
Genre: YA Dystopia
Add to Goodreads

This was probably my first fantasy read in 2015, and definitely my favourite. This book made me fall in love with the fantasy genre, and it inspired me to discover more beautiful books in the genre. Everything in this book is perfection, including the writing, the setting and the characters, and if you are still thinking of the reasons to pick up, then here's one more: the cover. I mean, judging a book by its cover is a bookish sin. But, how can someone say no to a golden spine? Pick up, pick up! 

2. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Genre : Adult Fiction
Add to Goodreads


This is my last read of 2015, and definitely the best. I've been putting this book off for so long now, but when I finally picked it up, it changed everything. It is set in Jackson, Mississippi, at a time where black maids were considered "diseased". This book gives such an inisght into the lives of black maids working for white mistresses. I cried, and cried till the tears went dry. This book had me hooked from the beginning till the end, and it is not the story, the writing was so beautiful. I urge everyone to read this as soon as possible. 

3. The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins

Genre : Psychological Thriller
Add to Goodreads


I read many psychological thrillers this year, including Gone Girl, and despite loving Gone Girl, this book made it to the top five. Why? Because it's mind-blowing. I was expecting something else, and I got something else and even more. I do not have words to explain how amazing this book turned out to be. Even though it has a lot of mixed reviews, I would still want everyone to give it a try. 

4. The Hungry Tide by Amitav Ghosh

Genre ; Contemporary
Add to Goodreads


It would be unfair to not add an Indian book to this list. So, here's a book which changed my perspective on Indian books. Amitav Ghosh'd writing not only captures your heart, but also breaks it into thousand pieces. The story was so powerful, and so beautiful. If there is anybody who hasn't yet read this book, make this your priority. It sent in the hauntingly beautiful Bay of Bengal, and it just makes you want to live inside that book because of its vivid imagery of the life there. So creepy, but so beautiful. 

5. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Genre : Historical Fiction
Add to Goodreads


This year was pretty good for Harper Lee, because the sequel to this book just got released. This book has been in my life since ninth grade, when my favourite teacher suggested this book to us. I tried reading it then, but it was too much for me. I bought this book this summer, and devoured it the moment it was in my hands. And god, I know why everyone wants to read it. And why everyone loved it. AND WHY EVERYONE IS EXCITED ABOUT THE SEQUEL. This book is another anecdote on the kind of life that existed in southern USA where racism was it its peak. This book should be read at least once in a lifetime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...